Saturday, February 03, 2007

Meet Erik Kolacz

We continue our exclusive Q & A series with Top Design contestant Erik Kolacz.

1. How did you hear about the show?

A friend from a casting agency sent me the info. That day I went to the first interview and was asked back. I really didn’t think it would go anywhere; after each meeting there was weeks of waiting. (You have to love the tummy butterflies.)

2. Where did you audition?

I auditioned in Chicago and then LA.

3. What is unique about you? What do you bring to the show that no one else can? What are you really good at?

I think that I’m pretty unique because of my age and accomplishments. There are many talented designers that are great at design alone. Not many are able to juggle design, client relations and the business side. I pride myself on working with my clients to create an environment that is inspiring without breaking the bank. I also truly enjoy the finished product in design. There is nothing better to me than a unique functional space. I love my job!

4. How did you learn that you made it onto "Top Design"?

It was September 29th I was in a limo surrounded with my closest friends and a glass of champagne in my hand on my way to one of my all time favorite events in Chicago. Marshall Fields (now Macys) Glamorama with Beyonce. The timing could not have been better. We still laugh about it. We go every year and always have a wonderful time. It was an even better time after I received the call.

5. Where will you be watching the show?

The first night will be a party at our home in Chicago with my close friends and family so they can laugh at me all at once. Life is to short to be so serious all of the time. After that I have a list that will always be changing, It also depends on if I look like a nut or not! I may have to take a long holiday!

Thanks so much, Erik; you know, we're going to have to ask you more about Glamorama!