Saturday, March 17, 2007

Here's Heather!


BTD welcomes back Heather Ashton (early this week!) for her exclusive recap on Episode 6: "Life of the Party."

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I am not completely oblivious to the fact that I have a tendency to make my recaps just a tad, teeny bit about me. It’s about to get worse.

I am sooooooo jealous of the final six right now. While most people in Los Angeles support their dreams of the entertainment biz in the service industry, I was the lone decorator slinging drinks in LA. Not only have I worked more parties, premiers, launches and award shows than I would ever admit, I also art directed for a huge event production company for over a year as well. I was fortunate enough to design everything from the annual Frederick’s of Hollywood Fashion Show and Charity Event, to the Nintendo DS Launch. I even got the opportunity to turn a loft into my idea of an Eighties NYC underground club(a la Area) for the Soros family. Are you tired of hearing about me yet?

Event design is totally different than interiors or architecture. It’s about shoving the product down the throat of “influence” both visually and literally while creating a space that can amuse a bunch of people that are paid to go to parties. All without losing the true point of the event: Brand (Bacardi) exposure. Oh and all this has to be accomplished in minimal time, with limited budget and must be dismantled, removed and trucked away at 2am. I love events. A designer will never get the freedom to run with the inner crazy more than on events. I hate events. The longest hours, the most stressful challenges and the lowest budgets I have ever had…until Bravo cast me. I had the confidence to think I could handle the physical challenge of the show because I designed events.


Are we tired of hearing about Heather? Short answer: no. Click here to learn even more about her and her take on Episode 6.